Duration of Study Programme
2 Academic Years
October & January
If you are passionate about helping others discover the joy of sport or working with athletes to maximize their performance, this course will equip you with the practical and theoretical expertise to become a dynamic and innovative coach in this rapidly expanding sector. This course is specifically designed to provide the knowledge and skills to those people interested in pursuing a career in coaching or sports development. It will provide you with the opportunity to develop theoretical understanding of barriers that affect sports performance and initiatives that are used to broaden participation in sport. It will also provide the opportunity to develop effective planning and delivery of coaching sessions and analysis of sports performance. To fully complete this HND qualification, you must first obtain the HNC (1st year) and then proceed to the HND (2nd year).
This qualification aims to meet your needs by:
- providing education and training for a range of careers in the sector
- the education and training of those who are employed, or aspire to be employed, in a variety of types of work, such as in performance analysis, nutrition for sport and exercise, sports development, sports coaching, education, research and development etc
- opportunities for you to gain a nationally-recognised vocationally-specific qualification to enter employment in the sector or progress to higher education qualifications such as a full-time degree in a related area
- an understanding of the roles of those working in the sector within the department in which they work, including how their role and that of their department fits within the overall structure of their organisation and within the community
- opportunities for you to focus on the development of the higher level skills in sport, sport and exercise sciences and related areas
- opportunities for you to develop a range of skills and techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
- the development of your knowledge, understanding and skills in the field of sport, sport and exercise sciences and related areas
- opportunities for you to develop a range of skills, techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
What you will study
You will study modules such as:
How you will learn
This diploma is delivered with a flexible classroom-based method, through a variety of course materials, case studies, discussions, presentations, enquiry-based learning and problem-solving activities. We provide you with key reading and research activities, and you will make the most of our own teaching portal.
Method of Assessment
The purpose of assessment is to ensure that effective learning has taken place of the content of each unit. Evidence of this learning, or the application of the learning, is required for each unit. The assessment of the evidence relates directly to the assessment criteria for each unit. The grading of BTEC Higher National qualifications is at the unit and the qualification level.
Each successfully completed unit will be graded as a pass, merit or distinction. A pass is awarded for the achievement of all outcomes against the specified assessment criteria. Merit and distinction grades are awarded for higher-level achievement.
Summary of grades
|In order to achieve a pass in a unit||
|In order to achieve a merit in a unit||
|In order to achieve a distinction in a unit||
- Have an ‘A’ Level standard of education; or
- Relevant qualification at EQF/MQF Level 4 or equivalent
- If English is not your first language, you will need IELTS 5.5 or equivalent
Exemptions from providing evidence of English language proficiency may arise if you have studied your previous qualification in English.
Students should produce copies of certificates, full CV preferably in EuroFormat and passport-size photo.
Fees & funding
Refund through Get Qualified Scheme: €6,300*
Net Amount: €2,700*
*Terms and Conditions Apply